• We do not accept previously published work. This includes material that has appeared online in any form or format, including personal blogs.
• We accept simultaneous submissions provided you promptly withdraw your work if it is accepted elsewhere.
• All work should double-spaced, 12 point, standard font (Times New Roman, Calibri, Cambria, Arial).
• Please include a cover page with title, author, contact information (including an email address).
Limit length to 7,500 words or less. We are looking for literary nonfiction, creative personal essays, and lyric essays. No scholarly articles please.
Publication Rights and Payment
After publication in Bayou Magazine, all rights revert to the author. Payment is two contributor’s copies. All work published in Bayou Magazine is considered for Pushcart Prize nominations. All prose is sent annually to Best American Essays for consideration.
• If after 4 months you have not received a response from us, feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be happy to check on the status of your submission.
Anyone who has been a student at the University of New Orleans in the last 10 years is ineligible to submit.