Poetry Submission Information
- Send only one submission of up to 5 poems at a time. Please wait until you receive our decision before submitting anything else.
- BAYOU accepts simultaneous submissions. If work you submitted is accepted elsewhere, immediately add a note to your submission specifying the poem/s no longer available.
- We do not accept e-mail submissions.
- We review submissions from September 1 - March 1.
- We do not accept submissions from those who are current or former students or faculty of the University of New Orleans.
- If after 5 months you have not received a response from us, feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com, and we will be happy to check on the status of your submission.
- If possible, please upload your submission through Submittable. However, we do accept paper submissions. Work submitted via email will be deleted. You may submit poetry by mail to the following address:
c/o Submissions Manager
Department of EnglishUniversity of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
- Paper submissions will not be returned, and response times are much longer for paper submissions. We do not email results for paper submissions. Notification of results will be sent only if an SASE is included.
Publication Rights and Payment
After publication in Bayou Magazine, all rights revert to the author. Payment is two contributor’s copies unless otherwise specified by genre. All work published in Bayou Magazine is considered for Pushcart Prize nominations. All prose is sent annually to Best American Essays and Best American Short Stories for consideration.